A good selection in sorting the white corn will help reap excellent sweet corn health benefits along with beauty benefits. Here are some helpful tips for the right selection and storage:
- Never choose the corn with removed husk or the ones that have been in the sun for the whole day.
- Green husks are not mean the corn is fresh, some types of corn husks after 1 week still green. The most simple way to know whether the corn is fresh or not is to eat it raw.
- The best way to store sweet corn is to place it them a refrigerator without removing the husk.
- You must wrap the corn tightly in a dry plastic bag so as to keep it fresh.
Sweet Corn Usage (Cooking And Eating)
Corn is among the few kinds of cereal that can be cooked and eaten in a variety of ways. You can consume sweet corn right out of the “maize ears” or use the corn kernels in gravy. It is used for cooking fried rice along with onion and chilies to make an amazing snack. Here are some helpful tips on the usage of sweet corn:
- Grill corn with the husk left on. This will help retain the flavor.
- Don’t put the corn in cold water right after boiling them. This will make your corns soggy.
- While boiling the corn, make sure to add enough water so that the corn is completely dipped in it.
- Don’t preserve the corn for long and also avoid over-baking it. Overcooking turns the corn ruby and firm. The cooking time is based on the type of corn, our fruit corn cooking 2 minutes is good enough. Other corns need to cook longer time, 5-10 minutes depending on what type of corn.
- Boiled corn cob seasoned with pepper and salt is the most popular recipe. It is a healthy snack and is extremely delicious. Or, you may also consider grilling the corn instead of boiling it.
- Corn kernels make an amazing, mouth-watering dressing for different soups, curries, and dishes. Moreover, they can also be added to salads for making them an extra healthy snack.
- Please eat the corn faster after cooking. Don’t wait the corn to cool after cooking, all foods eaten hot are most tasty.